Like Jason's Facebook Page

Friday, May 11, 2012

Paris Quick View (Number Four)


   I had heard about a little cafe at the Hotel d'Aubusson in a little tourist guide book I'd downloaded onto my Kindle.  Cafe Laurent had jazz offerings on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.  I went the first night by myself, and walked in to the great sounds of a trio playing Dancing Cheek to Cheek.  Led by Pierre Christophe, they played standards through the evening, and I could not have been happier.  I took Jennifer back the second night, and they were playing a bit of a more contemporary set, with a guest guitarist whose name I never did catch.  Here is just a brief clip from that night.  I did not capture much of it, except in my memory, which I will treasure for a very long time.






Pierre Christophe at the Piano.
The Cafe was quite comfortable.  I could have stayed all night.  The bartender was polite and helpful, the floor waiter was German, and was just a bit fussy, though he made every attempt to be witty, which was lost on me since I did not understand most of what he said.  A retired American couple sat a few tables over from us.  She was obviously not a jazz fan, and was only there for her husband.  He was a huge jazz fan, and could hardly sit still as he swayed back and forth to the music, occasionally shouting out an encouragement.  It was a great atmosphere.

I have a video clip of what I did capture and I hope you enjoy it.  And if you get to Paris, stop in at the Cafe Laurent on Rue Dauphine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment